Monday, February 9, 2009

The Art, Science and Math of Car Buying

In recent months, I have been researching on cars.


You see, I have never been a car nut. Horse power, COEs, car engine are Greek to me. So imagine having to read up and compare cars (besides the prices-which I will share) to scoop the better deal. You have already know COE prices are dropping like flies, but in case you think I am just latching on like everyone else like a kiasu Singaporean to not lose out, then you're wrong. The thing is, I have wanted to buy a car for years. And I do like driving (whether or not I am a good driver is besides the point), the convenience (apart from parking which I suck at) and not having to maintain small talk with cab drivers, or deal with some nasty ones.


And voila, COE prices fall!


And car prices fall. I thought well, I am turning 30, been procrastinating forever, have a rather stable income so why not?


So the search began. I ploughed thru' websites and asked people. There were all these confusing abbreviations – OMV, ARF, FC..and more confusing schemes for off-peak cars (the one I am getting, who ask me to work Raffles Place), rebates, claims, then there were the more 'hiao' aspects- leather seats, retractable side mirrors, audio controls on steering wheel, vanity mirror, boot space, sports kits, confused already??? To add to that, there are the calculations, calculations and calculations. Excruciating for someone who is really bad at numbers!

So I went for a test drive without knocking over anyone with my rusty skills, thank god. And it was fun! Basically shortlisted 2 cars (to save myself the hassle, being the fickle Libran)- Toyota Vios and Suzuki Swift. The new Vios is big, quite sturdy and easy to drive though the pick-up is not as quick as compared to Swift, which has a smoother engine, but comes with a more exp price tag (made in Japan) and smaller interior. So being the practical me, would I pick the larger and cheaper car over the smaller and costlier one?

So I thought, TOYOTA VIOS! In red! So yeah, I am going to get it. finally.

So till I get my beloved in May (which is a bloody looong time I know, cos it is OOS)…I am already thinking of a name. ;)

No comments: