Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The place I called home for the last six months

I am still in disbelief that I am returning home in less than 2 weeks...I recall the time when I first set foot in this small little town called Siena, which doesn't even own an airport; not knowing where my place and university is located; getting lost in narrow, old alleys; having no friends; spoke really basic Italian and asking myself 'What on earth am I doing here?'

But looking back now, my stay in Italy has made me a stronger and braver individual- trying leaving your job and loved ones behind for a foreign land in a far away continent all alone and I am even not talking about Hong Kong or Australia. After all how many people has the courage to do something as crazy as this?

Surprisingly, despite all that Singapore bashing, I must say that at the end of the day, I have learnt to appreciate Singapore to a great extent. Our efficiency, shops open during public holidays, Sundays and afternoons, clinics and supermarkets within easy reach, trains and buses that arrive on time, speedy Internet access, no lack of cabs, the list goes on.

Although Italy may not be the best place to live, it is still undoubtedly an excellent place to travel to. The museums (another realisation is that I am just not a museum person afterall); the food; the shopping (bags! whoohoo!); the mountains, lakes and the Tuscan countryside. Man, I miss Italy already.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, if it's any consolation, I guess you'd be back there someday... umm, we? ;)