Thursday, June 12, 2008

Soul-less Shopping

I HATE shopping in Singapore.

Which is sad cos' I like to shop. But there is absolutely nothing appealing about 'Singapore's favourite activity' here to me, even when millions and billions of taxpayers' money gets pumped into building chilly air-conditioned shopping malls, where Singaporeans convene with their colder personalities.

You have the standard brand names, Mango, Zara, M'phosis, Topshop, Body Shop everywhere in almost every other mall. Don't be mistaken, I have bought things there but don't we all live in some sort of fear that we will bump into someone wearing the same outfit? People buy cos' everyone else is buying that same thing. That herd mentality that the government has inculcated in everyone- 'oh, she has it, so it must be nice/good/worth it.'

Which is why I have given up on shopping here. The government keeps going on and on like a broken record that it aims to have Singapore turn into a shoppers' paradise. But where is the paradise? You see the same layout everywhere, same shops and same look. Cookie cutter like us Singaporeans. It's sooo boring.

And people are such ugly shoppers. I mean literally. I can never for the life of me, understand why Singaporeans queue just to get into a branded boutique. The weekend before, I see queues outside almost every branded boutique, even when I doubt a sale is going on. I mean, if I am going to spend a fortune, why would I QUEUE to get in the store? When actually a huge part of what I am paying actually goes to the shopping experience! Why do reputed brands here want to turn themselves into a sale-period Mango? It doesn't help in the image when all these suckers queuing are wearing t-shirts with flip flops (!) waiting to enter Gucci. Where is the QC? Effing disgrace!

With this note, I am contributing to economies overseas.

1 comment:

kiat said...

Contribute to economies overseas? In wat way? Ur company is a regional one yah?

Agree that shopping overseas is much better, like in london, the topshop is super big, with a cafe inside and free mineral water give. But too bad I'm not earning pounds! But sometimes there are a lot of things to be thankful for too in spore, so we shouldnt be overly critical or cynical, in the end just get disgruntled. Just buy ur stuff online!! :)

If really unhappy, then have to try to get urself a job abroad liao.