Friday, April 11, 2008

Boo Bunions

Made a trip to the podiatrist yesterday.

Its my second time, the first being an ingrown toe nail, completely gross.

I am now experiencing the bane of vanity, bunions. If you do a search, the images are pretty grotesque, though thankfully mine is still pretty contained. Here’s what I found – ‘More than half the women in America have bunions, a common deformity often blamed on wearing tight, narrow shoes, and high heels. Bunions may occur in families, but many are from wearing tight shoes. Nine out of ten bunions happen to women. Nine out of ten women wear shoes that are too small.’


Why do women subject themselves to pain and discomfort in the name of beauty? Needless to say, I am one of them. The thing is you are seeking pretty shoes, would you exactly go for wide, big-foot style shoes? Or perhaps companies should implement a policy where sneakers or Birkies are acceptable, when you don't have to face clients?

Anyway, my podiatrist has advised an x-ray and diagnosed me with really w--i--d--e feet and an inward pointing walking style, so I should really cut down on heels and narrow fitting shoes…now is there anyone who can tell where the hell to find pretty, wide, roomy heels?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We go and look for them together k? =)

AnoMalY said...

welcome to the bunion club dear.... I nearly didn't pass the medical check for Sq coz doc warned me they are going to get worse with all that flying and standing.

i just got my orthotics made, and seriously, there's not alot of cool shoe designs available that are comfy. i got my shoes/sandals from Kumfs at Heel&Toe at Palais Renaissance. cost abt $280+ ave. Other than that - clarks and aerosoles have quite nice designs.

amy

eileen said...

I went shopping for shoes over the weekend and was almost tearing out my hair in despair! In the end, I settled for gladiator style sandals (flat and suitably stylish), which would help in office environments that doesn't require u to be too corporately dressed. Afterall, I don't want to end up with granny feet! Bunion surgery is another option but too much trouble..

kiat said...

I was looking at my feet...and I think I have bunions too....very obvious on the right foot coz that foot is bigger....how??? Eileen, I think I need to go see doc too..maybe u can pass me ur contact...

Anonymous said...

Hi, u can check out this podiatry place at AMK Hub (called Footcare Centre or something, next to the footcourt). Not expensive since its only consultation. I realise many people do not know they have bunions and help comes too late when they discover.